An All-Natural Method Of Hair Removal
Body sugaring is an all-natural form of hair removal that is great for sensitive skin and provides amazing long-lasting results.
Sugaring gets its name from the paste consisting of lemon, water and sugar that is used to remove hair. The mixture is heated until the right consistency is achieved and then once cooled, it is applied directly to the skin in the desired area before being pulled off, taking the hair with it.
The main difference between waxing and sugaring is the direction in which the hair is pulled. Wax is applied in the same direction as hair growth and then removed in the opposite direction, whereas with sugaring, the mixture is applied against the direction of hair growth and removed in the opposite way with quick, small pulls. The sugaring method prevents breaking hair follicles during removal. Another difference between sugaring and waxing is that the sugaring paste doesn’t adhere to the skin like wax, so it causes less irritation and many people find it less painful as well.
Sugaring can be applied to many areas of the body including legs, bikini line, underarms, brow, lip, chin and back.
Sugaring also provides light skin exfoliation since the paste removes dead skin cells along with the hair, resulting in a smoother surface. Continued sugaring may cause hair to grow back softer and thinner.
Potential side effects of sugaring include temporary redness, irritation and itching immediately after the service. Resist the urge to scratch as this could cause tears or scarring on the skin. Very sensitive skin may develop bumps or rashes where the sugaring paste is applied. Sugaring generally has fewer side effects than waxing.
Sugaring is generally a very safe method of hair removal, but some people should exercise caution before booking. If any of the following situations apply to you, consult your sugaring technician before the appointment.
– During a menstrual period, skin can become more sensitive than usual. Because of the hormone fluctuations during this time, sugaring may result in more bumps, pimples, dryness, itching or redness. If possible, it is a good idea to avoid booking during your period.
– Pregnancy can also cause many changes to the skin, so you should consult your doctor before booking a sugaring appointment. If your doctor gives their approval, make sure to let your technician know you’re pregnant so they can adjust your service accordingly.
– If you are sunburned, it is best to avoid sugaring on the affected area to avoid irritating the burn.
– If you’re taking antibiotics, hormone replacement medication, hormonal birth control, acne medication or retinoids, consult your doctor before booking a sugaring appointment.
– Chemotherapy and radiation can cause skin to be extra sensitive, so if you are undergoing either of these treatments, sugaring is probably not the best method of hair removal for you during this time.
Before Your Appointment
Hair must be at least ¼-inch long in order for sugaring to be successful. If the hair is longer than ¾-inch, you may want to consider trimming it shorter.
A few days before your appointment, use a buffing mitt or washcloth to lightly exfoliate the area in order to remove dead skin cells and prevent stray hairs from being left behind.
Do not apply tanning or retinoid creams for at least 24 to 48 hours before your appointment.
It’s a good idea to avoid caffeine and alcohol the day of your appointment in order to prevent pores from tightening.
After Your Appointment
If you feel tenderness or swelling in the sugared area after your appointment, you can try applying hydrocortisone cream or a cool compress and taking an over-the-counter pain reliever.
For at least 24 hours after your sugaring appointment, try to avoid activities that will cause sweating, soaking or swimming in water, and direct sunlight or tanning. If your genital area has been sugared, also avoid sexual activity for the first 24 hours to prevent irritation.
To reduce the chance of ingrown hairs, don’t shave, tweeze or pluck any stray hairs or stubble.
Every person’s hair grows back at different rates, but generally, you can expect the results of your first sugaring session to last around 3 weeks. With regular sugaring, many people find that hair grows back slower over time.
BOOK BODY SUGARING IN WARMAN WITH: